Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. They did it right.
So it is official, the Indianapolis Colts have released Peyton Manning, making Manning a free agent, free to sign with anyone he wants. This, Losers, is how the Brett Favre vs. Green Bay Packers thing should have went down. There are parallels everywhere and the Colts and Manning did it right. Just goes to show how two adults should handle things as opposed to how two hard headed knob shines handle things. To be fair there are some key differences here, both on the player’s front and the front office front. I will detail.
1. Most important. Peyton Manning is/was hurt, Favre was not. The Colts were due to owe manning more money than Obama blows bailing out his buddies. With the uncertainty of the injury status and the amount owed to Manning, the Colts had to get rid of that contract. If Manning had stuck around, the Colts would have had no money to sign Andrew Luck and their free agents. In the Favre / Packers battle, Favre was healthy and still playing at a high level. This added more tension. The Colts had an easy out here, The Packers did not.
2. The Colts outright released Manning. This is what the Favre camp wanted. If the Packers didn’t want him, then release him. Allow him to freely sign with the Vikings. Well, as we know, this did not happen. Teddy played his full hand and shipped Favre to the Jets. This was smart for the Packers, but a kick in Favre’s ass. There was no respect by either side and these type of dick head moves ensued. Dick Head move by The Packers, Class move by The Colts.
3. Manning did not ever threaten retirement or hint at retirement. All throughout his injury, Manning insisted that he still wanted to play so long as his health would allow him. This up front behavior allowed the Colts to weigh all options and make a decision. With Favre’s retirement circus, which renewed yearly, The Packers had no idea what to expect. Dick head move by Favre, class move by Manning.
4. Manning and Irsay are buddies. Favre and Teddy T were not. This is likely the key. Manning and Irsay have been together for 14 years and have a strong friendship. Teddy and Brett did not. So, no respect was paid to either side of the Packer / Favre drama and we saw nothing but respect between The Colts and Manning. Respect causes people to work together, honor each other’s wishes, lack of respect causes underhanded shit and anger.
5. Colts will have Andrew Luck, Packers had Aaron Rodgers. At the time, Rodgers was an unknown, but the Packers spent a #1 on him and it was his time. Rather than threaten Manning with “compete with Luck”, the Colts just ended it. Luck is an unkown, but its the direction of the team for the foreseeable future. It was time to part ways and the Colts and Manning broke up with class.
In the end, the biggest thing here is how things should be handled. In business, in life and in everything, if each side is paid the respect they deserve, things ultimately work out. In the Colts / Manning case, each side respected the other; Manning was up front about his desire, heath and plans. The Colts were honest with Manning in stating that they were moving on without him granting him the full release. Conversely, Teddy T and Bretty Favre were two bone heads who let their egos get in the way and damage the Packer / Favre relationship forever. Bretty should have been honest that he wanted out and to play for the Vikings, Teddy should have just released him outright or leveraged a trade with the Vikings. Either way, it all ended up the way both sides wanted. IN the Colts / Manning case, now both sides can still hug, retire numbers, have homecomings, etc…..while the Packers and Favre must wait until their butthurt stops.